Thursday 20 November 2014

WHY ARE WE LIKE THIS EH?!......by Ella

Naturally, we humans like to shift blames, accuse and criticise the next available “scapegoat” of the same things we do. In Nigeria blame shifting and criticism is a happy trend.  We love and enjoy blaming everyone else for our problems while forgetting that we are bigger culprits. I guess because it’s safer. A lot of us (the regular man on the street) who for example, criticise the government’s corruption are deep in the game too. Going back home recently opened my eyes to a lot of things which I will highlight briefly to drive you where I am headed.  These things have been there long before now but this time around they struck me a different cord in me.

SCENARIO 1

I was driving through the Berger round-about when the traffic warden raised a hand to stop those on my side from moving. Of course this was to allow motorists on the other side move. Now, I was driving behind a lady and was already slowing down but she was obviously bent on beating the traffic. Fortunately and unfortunately for her, the traffic warden saw her plan and promptly blocked her way and motioned to a police officer standing close by to get to the lady’s car. As the police officer approached, the lady was reaching to what looked like a bag at the back seat and brought out two naira notes (probably #1000). On getting to the car, the police officer spoke to the lady then after a short laugh, walked away. She didn’t take the money.

My concern is this - the lady driver was about to violate traffic rule but was obviously not bothered about what will be done to her because she knew she could 'settle' the officer even before she was approached! i watched this and began to question myself – “Are we (Nigerians) that bad now? Is everything now all about money? No one cares about laws and rules anymore?” From all indications –the offender holding the money ready to offer it to the officer and the officer sharing a laugh with the offender and waving her off –apparently yes! 


SCENARIO 2

I walked into a bank to make a transaction. From the 'security personnel' (because honestly I don’t think they know what exactly they should be checking for) who swiped his electronic gadget (if it works) over me to the ones who man the gates, I got comments of “Aunty anything for your boy?” “Anything for the weekend?” Boy? Huh??? Looking at the person saying this, it’s obvious he is way older than me and I should be the one calling him “uncle” if I had to. I smiled and walked away. I came back the next day and lo! He wasn’t so friendly anymore. Aha! He remembered me- the stingy lady who refused to dash him money!

I laughed but it actually got me thinking. Isn’t this all part of the corruption we keep accusing 'big men' of? Asking to be tipped especially when you are being paid for the service you just rendered screams CORRUPTION to me!

You begged God for this Job (whatever the job is), you swore that you will never do this or that again if God ever gave you this job and now you have it, you think the pay isn’t good enough. It is okay to want extra but not at the expense of others. The security man asking me for money does not know if I have just gone into banking hall to send my last cash to my ailing father. We simply don’t care so long as we are on the receiving end.

Maybe we do not realise that Corruption stems from greed and lack of contentment. The sole reason politicians and public servants steal pubic funds is greed! They have enough but want to acquire more even for unborn children. This is the same way I look at a “security man” who thinks it’s his right to demand and be dashed money because he opened the door or gate for you! No difference.  Just as sin is sin, whether you lied, stole or killed, so is corruption. There is really nothing as small corruption. It is our tiny bad and selfish actions that make a huge mountain of CORRUPTION.

The scenarios painted above may not be a big deal to somebody but it definitely shows how the minds of people in the society at large works while we keep throwing stones at the people we think are committing “bigger sins”. It reminds me of the adulterous woman who the Pharisees wanted to stone to death because she had sinned forgetting that they themselves were not without sin too.

Our government and politicians are corrupt, agreed.  What are you doing about it? Fuelling it by adding your own quota of corruption? (Stealing the little you can from your place of work or bribing people so you can have your way) Doing nothing and merely talking?  Please don’t ask for the government to change if you haven’t changed yourself. Ever heard the saying – remove the log in your own eye before removing the speck in your neighbour’s eye?

So, next time you want to accuse/blame/criticize the Government, President Jonathan or Babangida for syphoning all of Nigeria’s money and for the downfall of the country, ask yourself if you are ENTIRELY free of guilt!


ELLA.


Image courtsey of vanguard

1 comment:

  1. Very apt Ella. ... corruption is so ingrained in our systems that I cannot begin to fathom a solution to our problems... I guess we have to start with ourselves and stop the blame game.

    ReplyDelete

HOW I KICK THE PERIOD BLOAT - Useful Tips

I just want everything CARBY and SWEET!  I am almost sure I am not the only one who dreads having her period and the bloating that co...