Tuesday 1 July 2014

GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY!...by Ella


Yesterday I woke up feeling my world was passing me by. I set goals for myself at the start of this year and I lay down thinking about how I have not achieved most of them. I have only succeeded in giving myself reasons why I cannot do this or that. The year is already half way gone .Time to re-evaluate.

One of my goals for this year is to lose weight. I began this year at size 20 (121kg). Six months after I am down to a size 18 (110kg). That means I lost just 11kg in 6mnths at an average of 1.83kg per month. That in my dictionary is no success at all! And anyone will be foolish to think it is. So I began thinking that I need to do something fast about it if I am going to reach my goal by my next birthday (6 months away). I have decided to make serious and drastic adjustments to my diet and exercise routine.

However, something happened a few days ago that gave me a fresh perspective. I was talking to a friend’s friend (who is also struggling with his weight) about my target and how I want to go about it. He kept saying ‘all these diet and exercise things don’t work joor and besides I never sweat in the gym no matter what I do’. Since I had that same problem when I started going to the gym (probably because it was cold here so sweat is a luxury you have to work for. Lol) I devised a means to make me sweat very well while I work out. I wear a thick hooded jumper (sweater) while working out and trust me it works! I find me sweating profusely by the time I am done with my 3mile run on the treadmill and it makes me feel like I have done some work. So I shared this trick with this dude and what does he say?

Ah! I can’t do that o.’
Why’ I asked  
All those sweaters dey itch my arms. Especially with sweat’
How do you know? Have u tried before?’ I pressed
I just know. All those things no dey agree with my skin’ he answered
Well there’s always a price to pay for any result we want’ and with that I quietly walked away


This may seem like a conversation we should laugh over and brush aside. But there and then it occurred to me that WE ARE OUR OWN OBSTACLES TO OUR PROGRESS! Yes us. You and me. Most times we find excuses as to why we cannot do one thing or the other. Telling ourselves we tried our best. This is a guy who was telling me how all his shirts he brought from Nigeria do not fit any more. And all he could think of coming up with is that ‘sweaters itch me when I sweat!’  Sigh

I refuse to be my own obstacle any more. Enough of the laid back attitude! I choose today to take the bulls by the horn, fight these demons and make my dreams come true. Whatever your targets and goals for this year are, as we step into the second half of the year, take stock and choose to do same too. There is still plenty of time to make that dream come true. The hard truth is that no one can help you achieve your dreams so put on the achievers’ spirit and stop making excuses for yourself. Start making things happen. It’s time to kick some ass! Enough said.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!
BECOME LIMITLESS!
SAY NO TO LIMITATION!
GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY!

Remain Super Awesome and have a blessed July!

Love,



ELLA….xxx

1 comment:

  1. way to go girl! wishing u success all the way. more vasline to your elbows *winks* .......AMAKA ABGO-ANIKE

    ReplyDelete

HOW I KICK THE PERIOD BLOAT - Useful Tips

I just want everything CARBY and SWEET!  I am almost sure I am not the only one who dreads having her period and the bloating that co...